The large district town of Kehl is located between Freiburg and Karlsruhe directly on the Rhine. It is the German border town to Strasbourg.
Its location made Kehl significant early on. For shipping on the one hand, for the border traffic on the other. The first bridge over the Rhine was built in 1333.
After Kehl was taken in 1678 by the French king Louis XIV, the upgrading of the Kehl fortress began.
The construction of the Kehl railway bridge in 1842 made it possible for the first time to travel directly from Paris to Vienna by train.
During the Second World War, Kehl became a suburb of Strasbourg.
Kehl is a city with just over 35,000 inhabitants.
In addition to the traffic-calmed city centre, the newly built shopping centre is inviting for a stroll.
The “Altrheinarme” the Rhine foreland, and the Passerelle have high recreational value. The latter is a bridge for cyclists and pedestrians across the Rhine to Strasbourg, which was built in the course of the Landesgartenschau 2004. Here, walkers, joggers and cyclists feel comfortable not only on beautiful summer days.